My name's Brent Turner. I’m an illustrator, painter and designer from Sydney, Australia. As a grommit I grew up with Ku-ring-gai National Park on my doorstep where I’d spend my days exploring fire trails, building bush shacks and finding tadpoles and yabbies in secret watering holes. If I wasn’t roaming the bush, I’d be down at the beach body surfing shories with my mates or building the world’s biggest sand castles.
From these memories grew the inspiration for my work. My style is a nostalgic tongue-in-cheek Australiana type of illustration that pops with movement, ice cream pastels and Australian wildlife characters. Through my work I aim to highlight a larrikin Aussie spirit from times gone by whilst shining a spotlight on the importance of loving and protecting our native species.
I turn to the natural world for my inspiration and I find joy in watching birds and wildlife play, studying their unique quirks and translating those quirks through my work. Our unique landscapes, the ocean, surf culture and long Australian summers play a big influence in my work too with my little surfing Koala friends taking a leading role.
There are many artists, illustrators, musicians and writers I admire who influence my style including Aussie classics like Ken Done, Reg Mombassa and Michael Leunig.
Finally, a very special mention to my partner behind the scenes Tash (Mrs. Brentos) who supports our little creative business beyond measure.
Shows and Exhibitions
- 2017 – Art Decko Exhibition, Northern Beaches Creative Space, Sydney
- 2017 – NinetyFive Percent Exhibition, B-Side Creative Space, Sydney
- 2018 – Shuffle Studios Warehouse Arts Festival, Brookvale, Sydney
- 2018 – Art Decko Exhibition, Northern Beaches PCYC, Sydney
- 2018 – One Hundred, Two Hundred Exhibition, Grant Molony Gallery, Long Jetty, NSW
- 2018 – Melting Pot Exhibition, Chinatown, Sydney
- 2020 – Common Ground, Vandal
- 2020 – KRVNM, Vandal
- 2021 – Portraits from the Bush, Mini Series Launch
- 2021 – Northern Beaches Art Prize, Manly Art Gallery and Museum
Here are some of the organisations I’ve worked with in the past.